Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hermione vs. Hermione


I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Leontes' wife's name is Hermione. Blame pop culture / J.K. Rowling but I immediately thought of Hermione Granger of Harry Potter when I read the play summary... So who is better? Here are their strengths:

Shakespeare's Hermione: Even though her husband is so cruel to her and accuses her of adultery with his childhood best friend, she doesn't speak out against him; she gives birth to two kids (props to any mom); she doesn't stuff it Leontes' face when he is wrong; she is good at persuasion, she comes to life after being a statue

Hermione Granger: super smart, can do magic even though her parents are muggles, has kids (see epilogue of the 7th book), keeps a ton of people alive especially by helping defeat the most evil wizard ever, has a ton of guys crushing on her....

I think the choice is clear. Even though Hermione is a pretty good character, Hermione Granger wins. I mean, she can do magic.

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA i laughed out loud looking at all of your stick figure drawings. SO funny!

    These two women are VERY different characters, with different motives you know? granger is a studious witch who is preparing to defeat the darkest wizard and save the world; queeny's only motives in life has been to be a good wife/queen. Depending on which world you want to look in, they're both pretty cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I think that you make a fabulous point about the whole magic thing. You must understand that The REAL Hermione is actually Shakespeare's. If you look at it logically, you have to agree with me: Shakespeare's Hermione has been around for much longer a time, is much more forgiving, AND gives birth in jail. That is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love it! I have to admit, reading through the Winter's Tale, Emma Watson has been in my head the whole time. And Harry Potter beats Shakespeare any day.(Am I allowed to say that? Well, I just did..) Nice comparison. And the stick figures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete